THE 5th ASEAN DISABILITY FORUM
19th – 21st October 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
We, participants of the 5thASEAN Disability Forum Conference (ADF) 2015 – A platform of engagement for DPOs and multi-stakeholders to promote and implement the ASEAN Decade of Persons with Disabilities, from 19th-21stOctober 2015, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, organized by the Malaysian Confederation of the Disabled
Appreciate the commitment of the Government of Malaysia in including Persons with Disabilities in the national development plan and the promotion of the rights of Persons With Disabilities.
Follow up on the establishment of the ASEAN Community by 2015 made up of the three pillars namely the Political-Security Community, the Economic Community and the Socio-Cultural Community as laid down in the Siam Reap Declaration (2012).
Refer and support the UNESCAP Iuncheon-strategy “Make the Right Real” in The New Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities (2013-2022).
Express hear our heart-felt appreciation to the ASEAN Member states for the successful development of the ASEAN Decade of Persons with Disabilities (2011-2020).
Do hereby agree to declare as follows:
1. To study, share and adapt best practice in policy sectors of ASEAN member states in terms of upholding the promotion and protection of disability rights, on sexuality and reproductive health, natural disaster, education for those with severe disability, political participation, women with disability and their leadership role in ASEAN society;
2. To encourage all ASEAN Member states to ratify and to apply the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
3. To ensure ASEAN member states are concern with refugees with disability; towards this end, we strongly recommend the establishment of ASEAN Commission of Human Rights for Persons with Disability.
4. To promote disability issue into all policies of ASEAN as disability is a cross cutting issue.
5. Encourage inter-governmental collaborations to set up disability section to discuss disability issue in the ASEAN secretariat
6. Expedite the process of accreditation of ADF with the intended outcome of promoting one ASEAN one society to include all types of Persons With Disabilities.
7. Promote the implementation of ASEAN Decade of Persons With Disabilities (2011-2020).
8. Ensure the adopted new blueprints: PSC, AEC and ASCC are harmonized with Sustainable Development goal, UNCRPD and Iuncheon Strategy.
9. Ensure inter-governmental promotion of the Right based approach of PWDs through AICHR.
10. Ensure the inclusion of Disability Perspectives in the 3 pillars of ASEAN Community;
11. Promote Social Protection and assistance for Persons With Disabilities within governments of ASEAN.
12. Promote more public awareness and public education on UNCRPD, ASEAN DECADE for people with disabilities 2011-2020.
13. Promoting full and effective participation of Persons ith Disabilities in the political system through accessible elections.
14. Ensuring access and equity to education, employment, and entrepreneurship among Persons with Disabilities.
15. Establishing an inclusive and effective disaster risk management system.
16. Ensuring full accessibility for Persons with Disabilities in the built environment by adopting the concept of universal design.
17. Ensuring access to information for Persons with Disabilities through the use of sign language, Braille, electronic text in accessible formats and audio description.
18. Raising awareness on positive attitude towards Persons with Disabilities.
19. Through ASEAN Tourism Agreement to Promote accessible tourism for Persons With Disabilities.
20. Promoting the use of accessible and adaptive technologies among Persons With Disabilities.
We therefore respectfully submit these recommendations and request the Government of Malaysia to disseminate this document to ASEAN member states for their adoption. We, Disabled Peoples’ Organizations in ASEAN, encourage DPOs in Lao DPR and ADF Secretariat to organize the ASEAN Disability Forum (ADF) in 2016.
The ASEAN Disability Forum expresses its utmost gratitude to the Government of Malaysia for its hospitality and successful implementation of 5th Event in Malaysia.
We, all the participants also express our appreciation for the support from the private sector, institutions of higher learning and the volunteers for their assistance in cash and kind towards the successful organizing of this conference.